- The Grand Hotel Point Clear Resort & Spa has been known throughout the South as The Queen of Southern Resorts for more than 160 years.
- Colin Powell, Margaret Thatcher, Barbara Bush, Dolly Parton, Fannie Flagg, Patty Labelle and many NFL greats have all stayed here.
- F.H. Chamberlain built the hotel in 1847. It was a two-story building with 40 rooms. A separate building housed the dining room and kitchen, with a third building housed a bar called “The Texas.”
- In 1864, a portion of the hotel became a confederate hospital during the Civil War. A cemetery was built for about 300 confederate soldiers near the 18th tee of the Grand’s Azalea course.
- In 1869, a fire destroyed the dining room, kitchen and guest rooms.
There were no deaths.
- In 1871, “The Texas” bar was turned into an emergency hospital following the explosion of the steamboat “Ocean Wave.”
- Captain H.C. Baldwin bought the hotel in the 1870s for $75,000. It was 300 feet long and had 60 suites.
- In 1893, a hurricane destroyed the dining room and “The Texas”
bar. Both were rebuilt.
- In 1901, Major James K. Glennon of Mobile bought the hotel. In 1906 and 1916, the hotel was severely damaged. Major Glennon was ready to quit, but Mrs. Glennon intervened and supervised repairs that helped reopen it.
- In 1939, Mr. E.A. Roberts bought the hotel and 25 additional parcels of land. In 1940, the old buildings were renovated and the main building was constructed.
- The Army Air corps used the hotel as a training base during World War II. None of the soldiers wore combat boots in the hotel in order to protect the hardwood floors.
- After WWII, Robert’s company, the Waterman Steamship Company, built a marina, two tennis courts, an 18-hole golf course and a swimming pool. A garage and specialty shops were built.
- Ten cottages were added in the 1950s.
- In 1955, Southern Industries bought the hotel and then sold it to James K. McLean in 1966.
- McLean added the Bay House and soon the hotel grew to 172 guest rooms.
- In 1967, a second 9-hole golf course and the first conference
center were added.
- In 1979, the hotel closed as a result of Hurricane Frederick. Roofs were damaged and 5,000 trees on the golf course were lost. The hotel reopened on April 10, 1980.
- In 1981, the Marriott Corporation bought The Grand Hotel and added
the North Bay House and the Marina building, bringing total guest rooms to 306.
- In 1986, the old Gunnison House was torn down to make way for The Grand Ballroom. Marriottadded an additional 9-hole golf course for a total of 36 holes.
- Major renovations to the hotel were completed in 2003, including a new spa, pool and additional guest rooms.
- Renovation of the Dogwood course was completed in 2004. The renovation of the Azalea course was completed in 2005.
- An expansion of the Grand’s grounds and new real estate opportunities were announced in 2006.
- Daily patriotic military salute and cannon firing started in 2008.
- "The Experience" opening in the Spring of 2016. Our new golf practice facility will feature private lessons (swing, putting, short game), junior clinics, league clinics, club fitting, skills challenges and more.